Tumblelog by Soup.io
Newer posts are loading.
You are at the newest post.
Click here to check if anything new just came in.

Doctor?s Death Marks Second U.s. Ebola Fatality | Kfor.com

The death of Dr. Martin Salia, who contracted Ebola in Sierra Leone, marks the second time Ebola has claimed a victim in the United States. Salia died at around 5 a.m. ET Monday, according to Nebraska Medicine spokesman Taylor Wilson. A surgeon and legal permanent resident of the United States, Salia was treating patients in West Africa when he contracted the virus. Salia arrived Saturday at Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha. The hospital tweeted Monday that he was extremely critical when his treatment began and unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we werent able to save him. Salia was suffering from advanced symptoms of Ebola, including kidney and respiratory failure, health officials said. The first Ebola patient to die in the United States was Thomas Eric Duncan, a Liberian national who traveled to Texas in September from that West African country that, like Sierra Leone and Guinea, has been hit the hardest by the Ebola epidemic. Duncan, 42, died at a Dallas hospital. He initially went to the same facilitys emergency room after he began having symptoms, but he was misdiagnosed and sent home. Two days later, he was back in the hospital, where he tested positive for the virus and his treatment began. It is rare for someone to die in the United States from Ebola because medical and monetary resources are extensive much more so than in West Africa. Salia split his time between New Carrollton, Maryland, and Sierra Leone, where he worked at a Methodist hospital, CNN affiliate WJZ-TV in Baltimore reported. The team caring for Salia in Sierra Leone characterized him as critical ill, possibly sicker than patients treated successfully in the United States, according to Nebraska health officials. Salias wife, Isatu Salia, a Maryland resident, pushed to get him evacuated from Sierra Leone, the U.S. State Department said. An air ambulance crew evaluated him in Freetown and determined he was well enough to travel. Isatu Salia spoke to WJZ over the weekend. Too upset to show her face on camera, she described talking to her husband and being wracked with worry. I know hes sick. He was a little slow talking, she said. Breaking down in tears, she said, Im worried for him. A reporter asked if http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george-hobica/air-medical-evacuation-in_b_6055522.html she was confident her husband would get the treatment he desperately needed. Isatu Salia said that she did and she was pleased with the action the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention took when she phoned authorities there.

With regard to the primary release along with any additional photos or video clip, head over to Doctor?s death marks second U.S. Ebola fatality | KFOR.com

Don't be the product, buy the product!