Tumblelog by Soup.io
Newer posts are loading.
You are at the newest post.
Click here to check if anything new just came in.
emanuelleoi

Lightning Strikes Man During Hail Storm At Woods Canyon Lake | Azfamily.com Phoenix

Paramedics said the man had an entry wound on his shoulder and exit wounds on both feet. Because of the weather, the man was taken by ground ambulance to Payson Regional Hospital rather than air-lifted to Phoenix. At last check, the man, whose name has not been released, was in serious condition. Woods Canyon Lake, which is about 30 miles east of Payson, is a little less than three hours northeast of Queen Creek. What are the odds? According to med flight assistance the National Lightning Safety Institute in Louisville, Colorado, there were 17 lightning deaths in Arizona between 1990 and 2003. The state ranked No. 15 in the country for lightning deaths. Florida was No. 1 with 126 reported lightning deaths. "Lightning is a major cause of storm-related deaths in the U.S.," reads the National Weather Service's lightning safety Web page . According to NWS Storm Data, the U.S. has averaged 51 reported lightning fatalities between 1984 and 2013. "Only about 10 percent of people who are struck by lightning are killed, leaving 90 percent with various degrees of disability," according to the website. The odds of being struck by lightning in your lifetime, based on a life-expectancy of 80 years, is 1 in 12,000. The NWS estimates that 10 people are affected for every one person who is struck by lightning.

For the original version including any sort of extra photographs or video recording, take a look at Lightning strikes man during hail storm at Woods Canyon Lake | azfamily.com Phoenix

Don't be the product, buy the product!

Schweinderl